Friday, August 05, 2011

Ramadan and me.

Last year I posted a modest explanation of how life changes around here in the holy month of Ramadan, please read it here. I thought it would be a good idea to shine some light on the traditional and cultural aspect of this month- especially for those reading this back home! This year is an altogether different story because I am pregnant, hormonal and hungry all the freaking time. So my routine has not really been effected by the fact that Muscat has succumbed to the sleepy, slow, quite days of fasting.

Luckily no one in my office fasts (well except one guy who is on his annual leave now) so I have not locked up my snack drawer that is filled with Oreos, almonds, waffles and crackers. I munch away the entire day. We haven't even moved the water cooler from the room because my Omani colleague said it does not phase him- even when he is fasting. So, we took his word for it.

I am however cautious not to eat or drink anything whilst I am outside (which actually isn't that often these days). This has proven to be difficult because my pregnant brain is always exploding with one stupid idea or the other, such as "Why don't you eat a tomatoe while driving from home to work?".

And as far as silly situations go, my oven ran out of gas while baking a few pizzas at home and had to resort to asking one of my neighbors if I could perhaps use his oven to finish dinner? Now if this happened in the afternoon I don't think my fasting/Egyptian neighbor would appreciate the smell of two gigantic pizzas bubbling away in his oven...and it would also be virtually impossible to get the gas service to deliver during the day in Ramadan.

Just this Friday me and Is This Serious were getting some much needed shopping therapy in City Center Seeb when we realized that we are frightfully thirsty. I also needed sugar. A chocolate of some kind. We ranted a little in one of the stores and an expat woman overheard us and offered her sympathy.  Except we couldn't eat it anywhere! As a last resort we bought the goods and headed....to the bathroom. I sat on one of the sinks devouring my Bounty and gulping down my Ice Tea. Seriously, it was sad. I felt a little sorry for my pregnant self. That should teach me stay home till 6pm from now on!

On a more pleasant note I was thrilled to find out that Oman Dive Center still serves beverages and food (not sure about alcohol!?). Alex decided to try out diving this weekend and I was a little worried about him getting a heat stroke or collapsing from dehydration- you know, because there is no food anywhere!!!! It turned out to be fine.

Oh and after we were done with the shopping I sat in my car and ate a freshly baked baguette with some cheese...luckily no one was around. Either way that sandwich was absolutely worth going to jail for.

4 comments:

  1. lol, its funny isn't it, having to hide to eat... I'm fairly sure there's some human rights violations in there somewhere, but hey, this is disneyland afterall :)

    Enjoy your tomato-driving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need to eat something in your car on the way to work please go ahead! Feed the little one. For health reasons I had to do the same one of my actual fasting days. I ate a strawberry icecream with real strawberries. Some people stared. I don't care. A fast is between a Muslim and Allah and nothng should stop them from fullfilling it but illness or travel, ect, regardless of the environment around them. But that is so sweet of you and C to hide in the bathroom snacking;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can eat, really! Eat away, cos Oman is open enough to allow a pregnant woman feed herself & baby regardless of her religion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys for your comments!I think my battle with Ramadan is over at this point but I still feel a little too bad when I bite into my apple and find someone on the street glaring at me in disbelief! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete