Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I am hybernating

Once a very cheerful outgoing person I have now succumbed to the limitations of my sitting room and rely entirely on my husband and the internet to entertain me. I probably wouldn't even go outside if you paid me, not even at night. You see...it has become unbearably hot in Muscat over the last few weeks. To give you a better idea imagine yourself in a tight tracking suit, running a mere 5-7km with no water or refreshment and then entering a sauna where hot air blasts into your face chocking you with all its humidity and thickness. See what I mean?

The two minute walk from my apartment to the car leaves me gasping for breath and the fact that the AC in the car takes ages to cool down doesn't help me very much. Luckily I live only about 10 minutes away from my workplace and only have to put up with driving a "steam room on wheels" for a short while. I am contemplating giving up my lunch break all together, just so that I dont have to make the short journey home. Once I do get home, the husband and I pretty much flip a coin to determine who gets to do "outdoor" chores such as throwing the garbage or driving to the nearest store for groceries. Its pathetic.

The weather is pretty much all people talk about these days. "Did you see how hot it is?" No. Duh. I live under a rock and only crawl out in November when the temperature drops down to 25 degrees. Of course I know how hot it is. A well-wisher told me that his car thermometer showed 47 degrees during the day and only 41 in the evening. only.41.degrees.

Moreover I realize that this ridiculous weather pretty much sets my lifestyle for the summer. Probably up until late October. "Go to the beach and cool down" you must be thinking. Ha! The temperature of the water is 28 degrees! 28! I would rather swim in a bowl of soup-I am certain it will be colder than the sea water at this point.


When I was growing up here, it was mandatory to go on vacation for four long months while the weather caused excruciating pain to everyone who remained behind. Now that I am all grown up and must fulfill my work responsibilities I cannot possibly disappear off the map for an entire summer. I have made peace (ha!) with the fact that I must remain under the scorching sun throughout the next few months and hence I will probably resort to writing mind-numbing blog posts as I put my life on stand by and begin my routine summer hibernation.
Stay cool.

1 comment:

  1. people are sick. i hate the whole "im new" excuse. it's like...go meet real people and stop bothering random people online! thats not how you meet people!

    ReplyDelete