Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 52

I love this quote from “The Big Bang Theory” series:

Penny: I'm a Sagittarius, which probably tells you way more than you need to know.
Sheldon: Yes, it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the Sun's apparent position relevant to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.
Penny: Participate in the what?

Much like Penny I too participate in the mass cultural delusion…what I am trying to say is…I read horoscopes and see the strong link between personality traits that certain star signs share. I am vaguely familiar with the colorful personalities of Leo’s, I know how to get along with Cancers, I can tip-toe around the difficult relationships with Scorpio’s and I am married to a Sagittarius- so that’s a piece of cake.

I personally think it’s a good idea to find out star signs when you make new acquaintances; it paints a very accurate picture from an early stage. Of course everyone is different and will not be subject to the astrological stereotype- but the key traits are right at the surface.

Much like psychology, astrology allows you to predict behavior and in turn avoid unpleasant situations or even fall-outs. I am hence completely justifying the “ants in the pants” or the immaculate oblivion to “sitting still”. As a typical Sagittarius man, I know that Alex loves to travel. He needs a house with a view, an open field with mountain ranges in the background. He would agree that “half the fun of the travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” This star is obsessed with learning and exploring, living an active lifestyle and contagiously spreading the travelling bug. Zodiac and considers every day an opportunity for another adventure. This is a cheerful, spontaneous, and idealistic individual with an exceptional sense of humor.

This restless Sagittarius spirit in Alex is the exact reason he has been recently complaining about the lack of scenery in Oman so much. Muscat can give anyone Groundhog Day Anxiety, its days of sunlight back to back. Rain and snow would definitely spice things up around here a little. That’s how I know that while we are here, we will be doing a lot of travelling. I have gotten used to the backpack-life-routine since we were first met. The continuous trips to the mountains, hiking, camping…ah, that was the beautiful life 

Travelling is a great way to become a more flexible, open minded and generally-interesting person. Patriotism works for many, but I cannot comprehend how a person can be satisfied with just being tied down to one country his entire life. My half Uzbek-half Omani geographical upbringing also meant I got to travel around a lot during the holidays with my parents; Lebanon and Paris were the highlights of these vacations. I am looking forward to doing some extensive travelling with my own family in the future; I know I will not be disappointed.

In three weeks time I will be heading back home to Tashkent, for just two weeks. I am already having the heebie-jeebies…

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, I had the same reaction as Penny. LOL

    Kidding me? Sagittariuses are the best signs. Literally! :)) It is so great that Alex is so adventurous and loves traveling and exploring new things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a Sagitarious Vera, I am not surprised you are so defensive :) No, but women are different, you especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all I really loved the quote. I read my horoscope every day but it seem u belive in them more than me. R U serious with the part (I read horoscopes and see the strong link between personality traits that certain star signs share.............ect)?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a great show, but I haven't seen it in any of the DVD shops in Oman, I would love to own series 1 and 2! :) And Moon Yes, I do think that people with the same star sign share similar personality traits :)Absolutely, I am a typicall Taurus for example :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruwi Highstreet--- put in a request. You will recieve pirated DVDS than are a bit fuzzy but cheap. Like watching TV at your grandmas.

    ReplyDelete