Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!

Last Friday, I turned 23. It was definitely a day I will never forget, for more reasons than I can elaborate on right now. I was feeling the love. The Facebook messages poured in by the dozens, international phone calls completely killed my telephone battery and my family and friends were there to celebrate with me. There was cake and there was champagne as early on as 10am. What touched me the most is how much of an effort everyone made. Have you ever received a gift and thought "wow this person knows me so well"? Everything I received that day was deeply personal. The highlight of the day however was definitely being surrounded by people who took the time to enjoy the day with me. It’s true that the best things in life are not things at all.

Alex wished me a happy birthday as early as 6am, to make it a point that he was indeed the very first one to do so. I asked for my very own hard drive for my birthday and he got me an enormous one (apparently it has the memory capacity of 5 laptops) because I really need to get all my pictures organized as they are all over the shop now. So this week I am really looking forward to spending a few good hours with my laptop to do a much needed spring clean of the 4,000+ pictures that piled up and when I am done with that I will treat myself to one of the fantastic Spa gift vouchers that I received as gifts :) Oh, the good life.

On another note, I must absolutely rant about THE HEAT. It is unbearable. I live and work just a few meters from the beach so every day I am exposed to sticky, thick and hot air that blasts from all directions. I am sure the temperature must have reached 50 degrees one of these days. It doesn’t help that I need to spend an hour a day outside as per my work description- so it’s no surprise at all that I got a massive dizzy spell last week and almost hit the ground. Seriously, it’s hot. Worse still- it will stay like that until September. Due to these treacherous conditions, the hubby now only works till 1pm- that’s right, he is home for the good part of the day. Whilst I am happy for him I cannot help but succumb to outrageous jealousy over his “long hours”.

What career does one pursue if one enjoys the refreshing current of the AC and the occasional cooling cocktail during the day (oh and a dip in the pool would also be an added benefit)?

8 comments:

  1. hehehee it is really hot these days! i dont even want to go out to my car to get somewhere these days!! i can't think of any jobs that fit the description though...maybe you could work as a life guard? you would order cold drinks and well, a dip in the pool would be a must once in a while! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of the poor Indian labourers working out in this heat all day. I feel so sad for them, they must really suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-ha! recently there was a job ad for the position of Beach tester at some local magazine! It basically involved traveling around the world and testing beaches and getting paid for that on top))) It was flooded with applications... Im sorry I dint tell you earlier)))
    here: "Included in the job assignment is going on outings, lying on beach chairs, drinking wine in local taverns, and other ordinary assignments found in a commercial beach and tourist environment. In certain areas, receiving a full-body massage, testing drinks, snorkeling, and book reading may be required."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a wonderful birthday, Sweetheart! Heat, I think it will get worse out there, just like here? I so understand you, because it is impossible to be outside on the sun even for 5 minutes. Much love! MUAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lyu- I can't believe you didnt tell me about that vacancy!That would have been my dream job! I am an expert at lying on the beach and doing nothing! And don't even get me started on book reading...I will forward you my CV just incase another adv like this one catches your eye!
    @Loola- It is very heartbreaking, I know. But at least now the ministry has made "time off" in the afternoon compulsory. I dont think they work from 1-4 during the summer.
    @C-If I were to become a life guard-people may just start drowning on purpose. I was trying to post a pic of Pamela Anderson in her life guard swimsuite-to get the point across, but it didnt download :)
    @Vera-hun once you get your car you will believe that there is nothing worse than getting into a car that has been out in the sun for 5 hrs straight. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally I can comment again!!

    Happy birthday Olga :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sythe! Why werent you able to comment ebfore? Something is going on with blogger this month, I can't upload images to posts and some comments dissapeared! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldnt comment on any blogger Blogs... it had something to do with cookies from 3rd party websites or something. Anyway all fixed now.

    But yes there has been a few weird things going on with Blogger lately.

    ReplyDelete