Thursday, July 15, 2010

The pack-rat is caught in the mouse trap...

Day 49. The picture of the day is our hallway. Everything in moderation, including moderation. "The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak." ~Hans Hofmann, Introduction to the Bootstrap, 1993

I have recently acquired a passion for reusing,recycling and "frugality". I have become a model citizen by printing on both sides of paper,reusing supermarket plastic bags and generally buying less crap I don't need. The last bit was the hardest. I don't know exactly when I turned into such an environmentalist- but more oftern than not I find myself turning the tap off while I brush my teeth. Come to think of it, my university diploma research was based on "green consumerism", god knows what triggered that off. A few more years and maybe I will turn into a vegetarian (a hear Alex laughing at that already). Maybe Oman is also to blame for this positive change in me. The streets are licked clean, brushed off, polished and sharpened. Anyone hardly ever litters. There are huge campaigns promoting the proper disposal of garbage. Beach clean ups are conducted weekly. Awareness is raised over the harm of plastic bags to the environment-supermarkets now sell reusable, sustainable bags (I bought two this morning!). Generally, everyone here lives and breathes the proper attitude to environment. Ofcourse as everywhere else- a lot more can and will be done.

 I am not an expert on down-scaling. I take my own measures to insure that I don't end up surrounded by materialistic junk that takes up every shelf and drawer. I do what I can for the environment. The media bombards us with "green this and green that" so it is hard not to be effected. Apart from being modest and down-right fashionable this habit also saves me a lot of money :)

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could say the same:(

    BTW, I just discovered your blog and love it:)

    All my Omani friends do the OPPOSITE of environmentalism. You reminded me to write a post on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I've been actively browsing local blogs, have visited yours on a few occasions and have finally tagged it so I dont lose the link :) Do post, I would like to get some insider scoop on this issue, which is currently getting heaps of attention from the media!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the post. It is here: http://howtolivelikeanomaniprincess.blogspot.com/2010/07/incident-involving-littering-on-highway.html

    (though erase the link after, lol, I hate when people leave masssssssss linkings on other peoples blogs like they are depserate for readers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No lets leave the link :) I work in PR, so I absolutely believe in trying to get free publicity whenever you can!!! Why would you want to not post a link to your blog??? Its a awsome blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete