Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Lords of the rings

I didnt need a big diamond ring to ensure that my husband loves me, and I made that clear from the very beginning. I could not care less if I wore a rubber band on that finger for the rest of my life. All I wanted was loyalty, a happy home and a soulmate who will stand by me as we grow old together. I am blessed, for I can assure you that I got what I asked for. I also got the ring I asked for. A simple, thin-band, classy, old school wedding ring. It is made of yellow gold with a white golden strap along the middle. Our rings are identical.
Buying rings in Tashkent, is quite a challenge. They are have just been introduced to the trend of matching rings for the bride and the groom, and most styles are heavy and far from European. My mom's initiative was to have our rings ordered from Dubai, but that was one plan that went horribly wrong. To cut a long story short-we send 2 pairs of rings back. They were redicuously expensive and vertually took up half of our wedding budget! And although our parents encouraged us to splash out on something that would remain with us throughout like, we did not give in. We bough something we both liked, and those rings were special because they have a story-they were so hard to find. Two weeks before the wedding, amidst the panic and the chaos, there they were; simple and perfect. And although they arent designer and dont equal to the state budget of a small European city, they are the rings we are proud to wear as husband and wife.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Olga! A (very belated) congratulations! Will be interesting reading up on your tips on marriage haha. Though mine is still many years to go it's good to prepare! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Trust me, this is one thing no blog/book/advice can prepare you for. Its like bungee jumping. You just have to go for it and wish for the best :)
    Thanks for stopping by to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga, it's a nice blog!!! Thanks for inviting! And I'm happy for you, dear! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olga: Would definitely agree with you there! Do update lots haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you about rings. So what was the point that my ring cost 3K? Now I can't even look at it! Blah.... important that you love each other and are devoted to each other for the rest of your life. Rings, ridiculously expensive dresses and luxury weddings not necessary will end in a good marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree honey :) I think the more simple it is, the more it wll last and the more you will cherish the good things in life, like each others company, smiles and the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete