Sunday, June 07, 2009

How the dress came to be...




A typical, classy, modern Uzbek groom. A strict suite, no flowers, no flashy colours. Traditional and modest.






A typical Uzbek styled dresses and a typical "modern" Uzbek bride. Gorgeous.

Photoes by Alisher Irismetov, my wedding photographer.

Every girl dreams about having the perfect wedding dress.
Although the idea of "perfect" is highly indivudal and bound to include the most controversial of choices. Most wedding dresses in Uzbekistan are very traditional: a puffy white dress, often strapless and hoolahooped at the bottom. These dresses are certainly beautiful and are available in a range of fashions; with rose petals scattered at the bottom, with golden glittered stuck all over, with gems and cristals on the corset or another typical design is huge sparkly stones all over.

Over the years a few exceptionally good wedding dress salons have become available where prices range (for rent) from 300 to 1500 dollars. As for purchase, prices range from 1000 dollars to infinity :)

I began the wedding dress research 5 weeks before the wedding, a great friend of mine, Lyu has kindly offered to visit a salon with me and patienty nodded or shook her head at each dress. My husband drove us there and waited patiently for 45 minutes as i sneaked in to try them on :)

Most available dresses were creamy in colour, which made them look quite dirty in day light, and the white ones looked like someone accidenty dropped a gallon of glittered all over them.

I tried on three dresses and fell in love with one. It was sleek, it was comfortable, and i could even see the ground when i looked down :) It was not poofy, and hence i didnt look like a snowball in it, it didnt have a single gem/cristal/glitter particle on it and that made me ever so happy. The price for the purchase of that dress was 1.200 dollars, way out of our budget, hence I had to find other ways to get the dress of my dreams.

There was also the issue of not wanting to rent the dress, because I consider it to be an item of too much importance which cannot later be passed on to god knows who to be worn on their wedding day. I wanted it to hang in my closet and get dusty instead :)


























These are some dress styles that I had in mind...

5 comments:

  1. You are right the dress is one of the essential part of the wedding ritual! You had the most amazing dress I have ever seen! You were the most beautiful bride ever! I wish I was there next to you in one of the happiest moments of your life!!!!

    Tashkent dresses are absolutely terrible and sometimes hilarious!

    I agree about having a new dress and hang it in your closet! Just imagine when you will have your little girl possibly she will want to wear it at her wedding! Plus, it is such a good memory! Good you kept it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also the belief that the veil of the bride needs to be hanged over the cot of the baby when it is born, like a net or a veil of the bed. This way somehow the baby feel secure and protected. So I am taking extra care of my 3 metre long wedding veil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, this is the sweetest thing you are doing! Can't wait for your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha, jeez how much I don't miss Tashkent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I can wait for my little one! I can wait a few more years easily...just watch me :)

    ReplyDelete