Thursday, July 08, 2010

Day 40. Not the doctor...


Looking at this picture now, got me thinking about one of my favorite songs. "Not the doctor" by Alanis Morisette. All of us have people in our lives who smother us, some with love others with hate. There are those who expect too much and also those who don't appreciate what we do for them. We always try to please, whether it’s our mother, our boss or our next door neighbor.


We all have relationships in which we feel compelled, or responsible for someone else. So we try hard. We try very hard. Miraculously saving friendships that hang by the thread and prolonging family ties dually out of respect. There is a great saying “you only need those people in your life that need you in theirs”. Very few people reciprocate, be it a birthday card or a good advice. We give until there is nothing left to give. Until we stop to think, and it hits us like a flash of lightening “but I don’t get anything in return”. I have a friend who specializes in soul nourishment. She doesn’t even know it- that’s why it’s so special. She is always the first one with a first-aid box full of best wishes, thank you notes, handmade cards and birthday presents that arrive a month in advance. She is wonderful and I am blessed with a friend like her. I understand that everyone can’t play Martha Steward and bake cup cakes every time there is a special occasion. But it’s nice to show you care. In the mean time, toxic relationships get the better of us. We get exhausted with trying to save a ship wreck. We fish the person out, we put a life jacket on them and we say “sit tight, don’t jump, it’s going to be ok”. But we cannot be held responsible for everyone that drowns. Although it’s painful to watch.

“I don't want to be the sweeper of the egg shells that you walk upon
And I don't want to be your other half, I believe that 1 and 1 make 2
I don't want to be your food or the light from the fridge on your face
At midnight, hey
What are you hungry for
I don't want to be the glue that holds your pieces together
I don't want to be your idol
See this pedestal is high and I'm afraid of heights
I don't want to be lived through
A vicarious occasion
Please open the window”
Not the Doctor, Alanis Morisette

2 comments:

  1. Your writing is heartwarming and touching. You know what to say to make a person feel on 7th Heaven. You made my evening, my day... hell, you made my life.... Thank you Sweetie! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Thank you! if it werent for you half of this post would not be possible! :) You are wonderful and the world should know it! Mwa!

    ReplyDelete