Friday, February 20, 2009

How we set the date

Typically, couples plan the date of their wedding after days of consideration, proposals and planning. Ours was a little different. Since my parents live abroad, it was important to give them enough time to fly down, as well, it had to be summer, since my little brother has school, thirdly, it had to be sometime in September, because that is when my husbands sister would be coming from Malaysia. With so many things to consider, I have finally picked between two dates, the 19th and the 20th of September. I thought my husband would like to have a choice on when to get married :) so i left the choice up to him. He picked the 19th. A friday. A work day. But i didnt argue it :)
In Uzbekistan, where we live, couples are supposed to provide a written application to the city council which would register them, and this has to be done a month in advance (i always thoughj that this was just incase you change your mind later on :) ) 
Since my mothers birthday was coming up on the 18th of July, me and Alex found no batter way to surprise her, than to give in our marriage registration on that date :)
Considering that she was then holidaying in Ukraine, it was one international call that she will definetly never forget! Whilst we were filling in the application, the husband (pale, sweating and nerveous) commented "A while ago, I wouldnt have stepped foot here, even if there was a "Free Beer" sign at the door". :) The rest of the procedure went through painlessly! We registered the date, went outside and started making phonecalls! First my mom, who replied "oh ok, good for you! now go find out if the church can marry you on the same day!" and my husbands cousin, (who lives in Malaysia!) to let her know that we set a date convinient for her :)
And thats how the story of the biker wedding starts....

No comments:

Post a Comment